Friday, March 27, 2009

Day of Celebration!

What an exciting day! The dedication for House #1 was today!
We woke up to wind, steady gusts of wind, warm wind, but wind none the less. (Tonight it is very warm and calm...!) We had planned to set up tables outside for refreshments, but decided we had best set everything up in the house. The cooks and I drove up early in order to get the coffee started and make sure everything was set. I went to trim the ends of the ribbon I had bought for the ribbon cutting and discovered that the pair of scissors I had grabbed from the drawer before I left was so dull, it barely even chewed the ribbon , let alone cut it! I very quickly went over to the FEMA trailer where Elsie rescued me with a pair. It was a little pair, but it did the job! The picture below shows the homeowners, Elsie and Steve cutting the ribbon:


Note the "welcome mat" that was brought by the representatives of the Salvation Army. There were about forty people there -- a nice crowd including the previous project directors, Kerry and Jo who drove over from their vacation in Palm Springs.



A new quilt came from the women of Portland Mennonite Church:



A beautiful wall hanging from Mennonite Women USA:


And daughter Tammy and I presented her parents with a new Bible from MDS:


(Tammy conspired with me to chose the appropriate Bible for her parents.)
The houseowners pastor said the prayer of blessing:


Then we moved to the inside of the house to sing "Bless This House":


It was a beautiful day -- even with the wind!

No comments:

Post a Comment