Monday, January 19, 2009

On to the Flea Markets

Today we went back to Quartzite to check out the other selling places besides the big RV show. There are three main places with organized vendors plus all kinds of tents and rigs with something to sell on every side street and corner. Plus, there are all of the food booths and trailers that you would see at any big state fair or convention. One of the food vendors we chatted with said that to see aerial pictures of Quartzite in the winter compared to summer is a riot. All that is left of all the tent cities is a couple of permanent structures. I did find a clip-on magnifying glass at the stand in the picture for my embroidery work -- I think the one I already have got left in the storage unit at the ranch...

At one of the rest stops on our way from California, I bought a set of nifty beaded hair clips from a Navajo lady who had her handiwork laid out on the sidewalk outside the latrines. I really like them and have been watching for some similar ones to buy for variety. Forry suggested that I could probably make some... So, we started looking for beads and fittings -- and then some beginning beading books and tools. Are there ever bead stands and shops! I (we) have a start on a bead collection! Forry has done some bead work the last couple of years while we were at Sundance (while I was working), so we found some stuff for him too.

I am continually amazed at how creative some people are. There was the usual creative iron work -- but I thought these stone creatures were a bit different and really cute, especially the big scorpion on the left.

The other thing I was impressed by -- and didn't get a picture of -- were the HUGE geodes from Brazil with amethyst crystals inside. Some of them were more then four feet high and a couple of feet across. Someday I want someone to explain to me how they find these hollow rocks -- and how many do they try for everyone that has crystals inside.

Tomorrow we will pull up stakes and head for Sun City where I have Mennonite Church USA Executive Board meetings Thursday through Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Bill makes glass lampwork beads (well used to) so let us know if you are looking for any particular colors. I will dig around and send you some.They are larger then most beads you will probably use but for variety you might like some. They aren't perfect (Bill is such a perfectionist) but who like perfect anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the reason you haven't heard any comments from up here forry--is because it is a stalemate--2 to l ss

    ReplyDelete