Friday, January 1, 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I have many friends who are glad to see the end of 2009 as it was a very tough year for them. For us it has been a year of ups and downs. We had a very "up" time with Mennonite Disaster Service in Dulzura in March and April. Being the Project Director was a good experience for me. And we met so many wonderful people -- both the people who worked on the project and the people we helped build houses for. We are going to try to visit the Dulzura area sometime this winter and see the finished houses and re-connect with some of the folks.

Summer was both an up and down time. We wanted to be back in the Moses Lake area to be with our friends as Phyllis was finishing her days on earth. While it was a sad time for friends and family, it was also very inspiring to see Phyl's courage and stalwart faith. And it was very gratifying for us to be able to be there.

In the fall, we went through my extensive back surgery and recovery. It has been an exercise in patience for me -- I think having intensive physical therapy like I had with my knees was a lot easier than this being told "to rest and let it heal!" I took off the back brace I had worn for almost two and one-half months on Christmas Eve and have been very pleased that my back feels strong and pain-free.

The coming months will be different for us as this will be the first year since we retired that we will not be spending time volunteering with Mennonite Disaster Service. Because of my back surgery, we have elected to take this year off. That means that we have two extra months of "play time" in the south and southwest. It will be nice if this "cold snap" that is covering the southern part of the country ever lets up!

No comments:

Post a Comment