Friday, November 12, 2010

Halloween is Over, but...

Halloween is over -- though Thanksgivings is coming -- but I just had to take a picture and share with you the jack-o-lanterns in the gables of Sister Roxy and Rich's house!


They are on a timer that comes on at dusk and shuts off at bedtime.



Roxy has long been the "queen" of the "Christmas House," but other holidays are not left too far behind. At the moment, there are various pumpkins, turkeys and autumn leaves decorating almost every nook or niche in the house!

Today we had a lovely treat! We met one of my dearest old friends for lunch in Tumwater at the Lemon Grass. Mary, who is Washington State's Secretary of Health, and I have been friends for about thirty years, dating back to our work together creating Washington's Rural Health Association. Roxy and I had sent her a note asking if there was time in her schedule to have lunch with a couple of retired nurses, and to our delight she was available! (We thought at first we might have just a hen party, but there was no way Forry was going to miss time with Mary!)

After lunch we checked out a few shops in downtown Olympia. I was looking for a particular game called Tsuro, the Game of the Path, that I wanted to get for my grandson. It's one that our friend Leslie has in her extensive game collection that I thought would appeal to Varick. They didn't have it at Windup Toys, but the lady was kind enough to call other game stores in the area to see if they might have it in stock. She was unsuccessful. I know that I can order it on Amazon, but it would have been nice to buy it locally.

I did make a wonderful find however in another rather unique shop called Radiance. I have sorta of been looking for a rice filled "log" that could be heated in the microwave and used on my neck when it's sore. (The massage therapist I had in Sundance had suggested it when she was working on my tender occipital region.) Radiance had a wide one filled with flax (with aromatic lavender) that also has ties on it so that you can tie it on, either to your shoulders, neck or back.

1 comment:

  1. I used to have a "rice sock", one of Keith's long, white athletic socks filled with rice and tied at the end. I did warm it in the microwave and it was wonderful, I need to make another one. The lavender idea sounds great!

    ReplyDelete