Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Another Very Special Birthday!

This is a week of birthdays for us -- Sister Roxy's yesterday and today is Daughter Dawn's! The nice thing about the timing is that she is finished with her classes for this semester and could really enjoy the downtime. According to her post on FaceBook, she had pomegranates as part of her breakfast in bed (her family's birthday tradition). I had to chuckle as I remembered trying to send her pomegranates many years ago when she was in college in Kansas. I made the mistake of putting them in a plastic bag -- in which they got very moldy before they ever got to North Newton!

We really enjoy our adult children -- and their families. When they were little there were so many other immediate things to think about that I cannot recall ever spending much time speculating about what they might be like as grown-ups. Nor did I ever think about them as being "friends" with their parents (or each other!) when they grew up. We were fortunate enough to spend time at our older daughter Mary Mae's in Mount Vernon this summer while her husband was getting things ready for her 50th birthday party. While I was recuperating from my back surgery, we had time in Spokane with Son Sean. Then recently we were able to spend a few days in Hubbard with Dawn's crew.

Each one of the "kids" has a very different personality. Sometimes I wonder how they could be siblings! Then again, they have so many things in common. All three are very devout and have a strong faith. Each of them has an interesting sense of humor and a very strong sense of family. I marvel at the way their minds work and the way they approach life. We have indeed been blessed!

2 comments:

  1. your moldy pomegrante story reminded me of when we lived in Japan and my sister, knowing how expensive produce was there sent me a box with italian squash in it. You guessed it...by the time I got it, they were a moldy mess! But what a sweet thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes look and listen at and to my children and am amazed that they came from my body. They are so much their own man and women. They don't seem that much like me, but they are very admirable people with mature, thoughtful ideas and standanrds. What fun they are!!

    ReplyDelete