Friday, June 25, 2010

On Being Patient -- OR A Patient?

It was wonderful to sleep in my own bed last night -- and sleep I did! I slept through until about 6:30 this morning and after a trip to the bathroom, promptly went back to sleep. I did have to get up by 8 though, because this is what was waiting for me --


These are pre-loaded syringes of Lovenox (enoxaparin sodium), a variety of heparin that I get to inject every twelve hours in my stomach.



I get to keep this up (along with oral coumadin) until my doctor's appointment Monday morning. They'll take some blood and figure out where my clotting factors are at... And then decided what to do next. The one thing I know for sure is that I'll be on blood thinners for the next several months.


One of the doctor's orders was for "light activity." He made it quite plain that meant walking around in the house -- NOT going for walks outside!


So, it's been a rather long day. I've been thinking about the friends and colleagues who are meeting in Anchorage today and tomorrow. I would like to be there with them, but it's obvious that wasn't what was to be. Do you suppose that once again, I'm going to have to learn what patience is?

No comments:

Post a Comment