Saturday, October 1, 2011

Mennonite Country Auction

$105,323!!!
What a day!  Over one hundred thousand dollars raised today for world relief!
This is Year 34 of the Mennonite Central Committee Auction and Relief Sale held at in the country at Menno Mennonite Church.  It brings together all of the five churches in
Washington State.  And there are a lot of volunteers that are not Mennonite!   Many of them have come to the sale and then come back in later years to help out.

My job is to man the microphone, making announcements and keeping everyone aware of what's happening where and when. I give out auction numbers and lists of auction items and answer questions.  Then when the auction is over,  I start collecting the money.  And of course, every one shows up at once and wants to pay so they can go home.  I was lucky today.  Since Daughter Mary Mae was tied up with the grandkid's activities and didn't make the trip over for the sale, I was without my usual help.  I recruited Godson Pete's fiancee Tessa.  She was GOOD help!

I was really tired when I got back to Curt and Sarah's. I walked in the door and was delighted with the wonderful smell.  Sarah was making enchiladas. She also made a great dip using some purple tomatillas.  That and a glass of red wine made a lovely end to a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment