Thursday, July 5, 2012

Port Clyde and PUFFINS!

We went to the little village of Port Clyde today for the Monhegan Boat Line's Sunset Puffin cruise.


 Our Captain telling us where to find life jackets --


Port Clyde is still pretty much a fishing village.


We were out for two hours, going by the Wyeth Islands (the painting family) and the island where Chief Justice Roberts has his summer home. We got a good look at the Puffins on Eastern Egg Island, but I was never able to get a decent picture of them... ;-(


One of the islands we went by had this colony of seals basking in the last rays of the setting sun --


It was a beautiful evening to be out on the water. The ocean was very smooth and the sunset was spectacular --

 

Remember seeing this lighthouse that Forrest Gump ran to in the movie?


The view of Port Clyde as we returned --


The group of us who went out to sea --


It was a lovely way to spend our last evening in Maine!

2 comments:

  1. So pretty!
    Maine is on my 'to go to' list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Port Clyde! When I was living there there was a little restaurant on the water side of the general store (I love all the general stores in all the small towns) which served THE BEST clam chowder and it was gluten free! I used to drive down on my own sometimes, have chowder and read at a picnic table out on the deck and watch the boats go by, the people arriving to catch the ferry to Mohegan Island (artist colony, no cars allowed except for one pickup that stays on the island) and watch the birds. I always walked out to the end of the walkway to the lighthouse. My kind of heaven. I am so glad you went there.

    ReplyDelete