Tuesday, April 7, 2009

If You Want to Find Anything...

If you want to find anything in the area, you just need to ask Dave at Jamul Auto Repair. Friday when we took one of the pickups in for its 100,000 mile service, I asked him about where there might be a good place to take the long-termers for brunch after church and he told us about Janet's Cafe. Scrumptious!

Today I went with Forry to pick up his truck and to drive mine back. I had looked this morning in the Yellow Pages trying to find a jewelry store or watch repair place where I could get my watch battery replaced, but couldn't find anything near here except all the way into San Diego. And I was lost without my watch -- the battery would have to go and die when I am too busy and too far from home to deal with it! On a whim I asked Dave if he knew of anyplace closer. Sure enough, he told me that Jamul Hardware Store had all kinds of batteries "behind the key maker." The hardware store was only a block away; they had watch batteries; the lady loaned Forry a small screwdriver from stock to open the back of the watch; then coached him through putting it in. Who'd of thought to look at a hardware store for watch batteries?

I've again ordered tamales for dinner tomorrow from the tamale lady. She offered yesterday to make Mexican chocolate as a treat for the crew as well as the tamales. Tonight her daughter Crystal called to see if we had some plastic containers for her mother to use (Laura doesn't speak much English -- though I think she understands more than she can speak...) for the chocolate. So after dinner Forry and I took some gallon ice cream containers with lids over to their house which is about a mile away from camp.

Son Roberto was waiting for us at the corner -- and it's a good thing as I'm not sure we would have found the house which was about a quarter mile further in. I'm always impressed by the hospitality of people and this visit was no exception. We had just finished dinner, but nothing would do but we have some freshly made tortillas and butter -- and were they ever good. Crystal made them, but she insisted they weren't as good as her mother's...

The whole family (there are two younger children, Blanca and Eddie) is planning to join us for dinner tomorrow night. I think they will enjoy visiting with our youth group volunteers.

These are pictures Elsie sent me tonight of the youth digging the trench for the electricity at House #1 today. That's the FEMA trailer in the background:



No comments:

Post a Comment