Friday, October 8, 2010

Watching the Harriers

There have been a pair of Northern Harriers hunting in the coulee all summer. I'm not sure where their nest is, but they fly down the coulee from the east every morning. Since we've been here this fall, there has been a third bird with them -- probably this year's chick. This morning there was a bit of squabbling amongst them as a fourth bird joined them. I think they are flocking up prior to migrating south.


This morning I took my mocha and my camera outside and sat and watched the harriers as they soared and hunted. It was a beautiful day with not too much of a chill in the air.




The bird book describes the harriers as "...slim with large rounded wings and long tails. In hunting they glide swiftly a few feet above the ground, tilting from side to side, holding their wings above the horizontal. Sexes differ greatly in color."



All I know is they are absolutely gorgeous birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment