Thursday, December 1, 2011

It's December Already!

My mother-in-love used to make remarks all the time about how fast time flew by. I used to chuckle, but at my age, I now know what she was talking about! I am finding it hard to believe that it is already December. Instead of feeling like Christmas was NEVER going to get here, I now feel like it hasn't been that long since we last celebrated it. It seems as though Lent is barely finished and it is already time for Advent.



Auntie Violet came equipped with an "Advantium" electric oven made by General Electric. It's a microwave oven combined with both a regular and an ultra-fast oven. It has a turntable equipped with a glass plate for microwaving and a metal plate for baking. It does not have a self-cleaning feature and the instruction book is most emphatic that chemical oven cleaner must NOT be used in it. As you can imagine in spite of being wiped out on a more or less regular basis, it has gotten pretty yucky after being heavily used for several years.

I've been watching the ads on TV for the "Magic Eraser." I'd looked for them at a couple of grocery stores, but hadn't seen any. Yesterday while we were at Bed, Bath and Beyond, I saw a large box of
'Extra Power' ones, so I bought some. (And naturally, when we were at Winn-Dixie a bit later, I saw that they had a whole bunch of them...)


These little white space-age micro fiber things really do work! There's definitely still a lot of elbow grease involved, but they do get the job done. We brought in the little step stool from outside the front door so that I might more easily reach inside the oven. Then Forry and I took turns scrubbing on the baked-on grease.


The oven sits up pretty high. It's always a bit scary taking hot food in or out of it. But I've not seen any recent RV models that have the oven anywhere else (our original Aristocrat trailer and our first Winnebago both had gas ovens that were below the stove burners).

No comments:

Post a Comment