Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Unidentified Tree?

There is this really pretty tree next to Auntie Violet. I asked the volunteer at the office what it might be and she seemed surprised I asked and obviously had no idea. I've been looking through my books but...


I CANNOT find a match to these interesting leaves in the 528 pages of my Field Guide to Trees of North America. The only leaves with this shape and number of lobes that I can find have pointed, not rounded, lobes.


This morning, though, I noted this leaf which made me think that this could be an adaptation of the only tree that I found with this shape of leaf.


I now think it might be a tulip poplar... Liriodendron tulipfera. The book says those striations on the trunk turn into deeply furrowed bark as the tree ages.
Does anyone know any different? Or have a better notion?


We did run into the little town of Fountain this afternoon to mail the insurance payments. On the way we saw this smoke...


As we got closer, we realized it was not a fire, but a BBQ joint!


We ended up stopping and buying a side of ribs to take home for dinner tonight...


A second look at the pig by the road made us realize that it was also part of the smoking operation!

PS We did take the little lizard off of the lavender plant and leave him at Styx River RV Park. I thought about leaving him on the plant, but thought he might wander off of it into the Toad somewhere. That would not have been a good scenario...

No comments:

Post a Comment