Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Downside of Being a Full Time RVer...

I really do like our peripatetic lifestyle, but there are times when it sort of sucks. We have been away from the Pacific Northwest and our family and friends since early last September. In the meantime, life goes on without us. Sometimes I feel like we are really missing out on some important events.

For example, Monday this darling little baby boy was born. His name is Ryan Patrick and he is my great-nephew. His parents, Jared and Becky and sister Ellie, all live in Spokane, Washington. By the time we get back to that part of the world early next summer, he's going to be half-grown...


We also got news today that the husband of one of my former AHEC colleagues had passed away. I would love to be able to be there and just give Judy a big hug. I know that many of our other colleagues will be at the services, but it would be nice to be there.

I guess this may be part of this time in our lives. There was a funeral last month and a couple more in the coming weeks that we have or will have missed. I can send notes to grieving families, but it's not quite the same as being there.

It was really warm in Florida today -- our thermometer outside of Auntie Violet read 96 degrees this afternoon. So far, we haven't turned on the AC -- we open all the windows and turn on the fans -- but it was like a sauna in here when we got back from a quick trip to the grocery. This was the view in the sky as we headed home --


I got a bit of flack last night from Bill about my use of the word "fanatic" to describe his and Leslie's relationship with all things Disney in my blog. He thought perhaps "enthusiast" might have been a better word. BUT, after what happened today, I stand by my original comment! They got up a little after 4 AM to be at Disney World by 6 AM to get the special ears and t-shirts that were being sold today to commemorate Leap Day. They came home this afternoon for a short nap and to show us the shirts, then went back to spend the evening and the rest of the night at the Park. Leslie is on a mission to go on every ride in the Park before it closes tomorrow at 6 AM (the Park is open 24 hours celebrating Leap Day).

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you for sure! I miss my kids and granddaughters badly, guess that's why I never look to the east for jobs. It would be too far away! We, none of us, can afford to fly. Thank goodness for email, FB, Skype, etc!

    ReplyDelete