Saturday, September 1, 2012

Peaches!

As I predicted yesterday, we spent a good share of today dealing with absolutely luscious peaches. We started off this morning with Dutch Babies (a baked fluffy pancake) covered in sliced fresh peaches -- they were so sweet, they didn't even need sugar.

Then it was on to jam making. We made several batches to put in Daughter Mary Mae's freezer (and a couple of little ones to take home for ours...).


We ended up giving Sister Sherry a call in the afternoon to check on how she prepared her frozen peach pies. I thought I remembered that she mixed the sugar and tapioca and spices with the sliced peaches and then froze the pie filling in freezer bags in a pie plate. She then took the bags out and stacked them in the freezer. That way the frozen filling would be the right shape ready to slip into pastry and baked. Sherry confirmed that my memory was correct, so I went ahead and made enough for three pies. We had enough ripe peaches left to make a pie for supper as well.

The rest of the peaches will be sliced and frozen for smoothies, but they need to ripen another day or so. I guess that will be our Monday's task.

After supper, Mary Mae decided it was time to indoctrinate our grandchildren into our favorite card game of Hand and Foot. I was surprised how quickly both of them caught on. Grandson Varick partnered with Grandpa and the two of them turned out to be a deadly combination. Granddaughter Claire and I and the parents will have to wait for retribution on another night!



No comments:

Post a Comment