Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Forry bought me a hand mixer for my birthday. I had given mine away along with my big KitchenAid mixer and other baking supplies when we downsized and became fulltimers almost ten years ago. I had been grumbling lately about the occasional cookies I buy because nobody seems to make chocolate cookies with walnuts anymore. There seems to be such paranoia about nut allergies that I seldom seem cookies of any kind with nuts in them.

Thanks to Brother Pat, I do have lovely shelled walnuts in my freezer! I went ahead and ordered the smallest of cookie sheets and racks along with Slipat pads. The combination microwave convection Advantium oven in Auntie Violet does not do the best baking job. I set the temperature the requisite 23 degrees less for the convection ovens. Even the small baking sheets are too long to turn on the turntable in the oven. The first batch of cookies was quite brown on one side and not-at-all-done on the other. So I resorted to baking them for four minutes, then removing the pans, turning them around and baking for four minutes more.

The cookies were good, but the recipe I used (from the chocolate chip package) needed to have more flour added as the cookies spread very thin. I was disappointed that the clever scoop I bought was one size too big to use with the little pans... But, by the time I was done baking, neither my quality control expert nor I were very hungry for supper!


No comments:

Post a Comment