Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Rockford Baptist Church Cemetery

 I'll admit I was getting frustrated. I had been trying to find the final resting place of more of the ancestors but wasn't getting anywhere. I finally went to see if I could see how many cemeteries there were in Surry County where I knew they had lived. I lucked out and discovered that there was actually a directory of burials in their county cemeteries that wasn't part of the national directories I had been searching. Sure enough, I discovered that Marcus Alexander York and his second wife Nancy Lee Gadberry were both buried in the Rockford Baptist Church Cemetery near Dobson, North Carolina. They were the great-grandparents of my paternal grandmother, Ethel May Blackwood Haight.


This brick church building was built in 1847 after the original wooden church burned. They also had a second fire in the back portion of this building about twenty years ago which destroyed any records they may have had left.


We wandered towards the older part of the cemetery and soon came upon these two obelisks with "YORK" on them.


The writing on it identified it as belonging to Mark York who died on February 11, 1867. He was my Great-great grandfather.
 

This stone next to it belonged to Nancy Lee "Marcy" Gadberry York, the second wife of Marcus and the mother of Eliza Lavalett York, my Great Grandmother.


That makes Mrs. Nancy York my Great-great Grandmother!


This is the section of the cemetery where the two obelisks are situated --


When I asked the woman who was changing the church sign if she had any information or history about the church, she said she didn't, but said that if we were related to the Yorks, we were probably related to the family that used to have the York Tavern in Rockford. We went looking for the building, but there is nothing there any longer. We did go by this road not very far from the church with Nancy's maiden name.


The nearest large town is Winston-Salem. I think I can remember my Grandma Haight talking about it when I was a little girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment