Tuesday, December 4, 2012

As Excursion to Queen Creek Olive Mill

Two years ago when we were in Arizona, We discovered Queen Creek Olive Mill near the little town of Queen Creek. It's a family-owned company that grows and presses olives to produce a hand-crafted extra virgin olive oil. You can eat at del Piero, their Mediterranean trattoria, shop at their gourmet marketplace for oils, vinegars, olives and tapenades or take a tour of the olive growing and pressing operation.

I have fallen in love with their Mexican Lime Extra Virgin Olive Oil, using it to make the most delicious crab cakes. When we were here before, I bought several different kinds of flavored olive oils, but that one is my favorite. Fortunately, my friend Leslie procured another bottle for me from the internet site when I ran out.

Anyhow, a trip to the Queen Creek was on Juni's wish list as well, so today was the day. We left Mesa around 11:30 so that we arrived just in time for a fantastic lunch. I had a delicious vegetarian panini that I scarfed down so fast I couldn't even get a picture! Coupled with a glass of sparkling peach wine, you couldn't ask for much more.

After lunch, Forry took his iPhone games out into the grove of olive trees while Juni and I browsed through the Marketplace. I ended up with some more lime oil as well as a large bottle of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and some balsamic vinegar. Plus a bottle of that sparkling peach wine!


The whole area outside of the open air restaurant and marketplace is set up for picnics.


The last time we were here was on a Saturday and it was extremely crowded. Today there were not nearly as many people, most of whom left after lunch. We spent a very pleasant couple of hours just sitting out by a table under the olive trees and visiting.


We hadn't gone grocery shopping since we left Washington and have been out of both milk and orange juice for several days. So reluctantly, we went to Safeway after we returned to Mesa. Our GPS gave us a bum steer about the closest store and we ended up traveling a great deal further than necessary, but we got the job done!

No comments:

Post a Comment