Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wildflowers of Arches

At the OK RV Park and Canyonlands Stable, looking down the row of RVs. The park is completely full with even some like that Prevost bus parked alongside the road.


During our drive through Arches National Park yesterday, we probably stopped along the road to look at flowers as often as we stopped to look at rocks. With the rain and the hot days last week, there are many flowers out. We saw several of these small yuccas --


I think this is my favorite desert flower -- Indian Paintbrush.


These are, I think, a variety of Evening Primrose. I couldn't find a variety in my books that have these specific type of leaves...

 

Another glimpse of Indian Paintbrush --


These are actually blooms on one of the Juniper shrubs.


More Paintbrush...


This little barrel-type cactus almost has more flowers than cactus!

 

The gorgeous yellow of a blooming creosote bush --


I think this is one of the many types of buckwheat found in the desert --


I don't know what these wooly plants are?


This Sand Dock or Desert Rhubarb. We saw a lot of it at higher altitudes in the park.

 

Towards the end of our round trip, we spotted this ledge full of Indian Paintbrush.


This is Golden Prince's Plume --


This may be Goodding's Vervain, a member of the Phlox family --


This may be White Easter-Bonnet...


While this one is obviously in the sunflower family, I cannot find a yellow flower with this kind of leaf structure...

 

We even saw a few Mallow plants still around (these are some of the earliest Spring bloomers) --


This yucca had just a couple of blooms, but they were gorgeous!


1 comment:

  1. You are a girl after my own heart! I always have my eyes to the ground looking for wildflowers. Even with all my "apps" and books, identification is sometimes fruitless, but I keep looking!

    ReplyDelete