Monday, November 11, 2013

Yeah for Water!

Some of my Facebook friends have been doing a month of expressing gratitude for a different part of their lives everyday. It's been interesting to read the variety of things they have expressed thankfulness for. As I was thinking about that this evening, I had one thing pop into my mind -- water!

Not only for drinking and making ice, both of which I am thankful for, but I spent most of the day doing laundry. Now think about it, it's awfully difficult to think about doing laundry without water. I can think about seeing women in Latin America doing laundry on the banks of rivers and streams. I have memories of washing out clothes in hotel bathrooms and having Forry help me by twisting wet clothes inside towels to wick out moisture. Of course, these days I use my Splendide washer/dryer here in Auntie Violet. Although, tomorrow I think I will take our throw rugs and our bedspread over and use the big machines in the laundry at the RV resort.

But late this afternoon, I was super happy about the water in the swimming pool and the hot tub. We went over to the pool area just at sunset. Forry sat in the hot tub while I swam some laps and did some water exercises. It felt so good at the end of a pretty warm day to just float in the cool water.

I can recall nights when we lived on the ranch when I couldn't sleep. I would go out and just float in the pool for while. What a wonderful way to release tension.-

I think I've always had this relationship with water. When I was a child we lived right across the street from the Ritzville City Park and the swimming pool. Sister Sherry and I spend hours swimming and playing at the pool -- it was a great way to get us to do our chores -- they had to be done before we could go swim.

Not to long after we were married, we put a gunited cement heart-shaped pool in at the ranch. It was just too far from town to drive to take the kids in for swimming lessons. I taught a lot of our kids' friends -- and some of our adult friends -- to swim in that pool. And I understand that our farm tenant's sons have had a lot of fun times there.

Ah, water! It's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment