Sunday, July 12, 2009

Thunder and lightning and DUST!

We had a storm move in late this afternoon. There was lightning and thunder and it really got dark. The wind came up with an old-fashioned dust storm. I could not see the shelter belt from Auntie Violet's windows! (about sixty feet away...) We got a few drops of rain with it, but I can imagine that the car and motor home windows are going to be filthy when the sun comes up tomorrow. I was just outside trying to see if I could see any stars, but it must still be clouded over. But, it does smell good outside -- there must have been enough rain to settle the dust.

When I was a kid, dust storms were not that uncommon. But there have been so many changes in farming practices, that they just don't happen that much anymore. The field above us that is fallow (in this dry country a piece of ground is only planted to a crop every other year, on the odd years it lies "fallow" in order to store up moisture) was recently weeded and I'm sure that's where much of the dust was coming from.

We had a full house in church at Menno this morning. There are families visiting on vacation plus the Jantz clan was having a reunion on the church grounds this afternoon. It was neat to see so many little kids in church!

I talked with a friend yesterday who I have not seen in many years. She has been reading this blog for a while, so knew what was going on in our lives. It was good to catch up with them and hear what they have been doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment