Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Walk in the Woods

After our last two days of playing in the big city of Pittsburgh, we decided that today would be a good day to hang around Raccoon State Park where Bill and Leslie and Serenity are parked.  I don't know how hot it was, but it was like being in a sauna when we were out in the woods.  I have lots of pictures of flowers, BUT I do not have a flower book with me -- let alone one from the Eastern part of the US! 


This log had some really neat fungi --



I do know what this flower is -- it's Hoary Skullcap (Scutellaria incana):


I guess if you have a VERY vivid imagination, the flowers look like little skulls?


The Wildflower Reserve is part of the State Park --


The ranger at Visitor's Center assured me that I would see Indian Pipe, which I have been looking for.  He even marked areas on the trails where he said he had seen it.  But, we never did find any! We hiked a good three miles and saw a lot of other things, but no pipes...



My special thanks tonight to Jim Guld of Geeks on Tour who figured out the problem I was having with posting to Blogger!  And my thanks to Leslie, who has been kind enough to post my draft blogs for me the last week while we have been in Pittsburgh.

1 comment: