Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fixing Cradlepoint

I have been fussing at -- and swearing at -- and saying bad things about my Internet connection all summer long! I've rebooted and reconnected, we've replaced the AT&T aircard modem and my computer.  I've used Forry's computer because sometimes it worked when mine wouldn't.  I've used the little HP mini-computer 'cause sometimes it worked.  I could usually get on-line long enough to do my blog on one or the other of them, especially after I started using my Verizon HotSpot.  I would be able to get on-line at one web-site, but then next would bring up the message "unable to connect to page."

After replacing everything else, we decided that the problem must be in the Cradlepoint router.  Every time I ran the Microsoft troubleshooters, it would end up with saying there was a problem and I should speak to the administrator...

So, while we were in Spokane last week, we went to see Scott Ross at Spokane Wireless.  Scott has been our "Internet Guru."  He installed the trucker antenna on Auntie Violet's roof and has set up the various amplifiers we have for both our cell phones and the computers.  We had originally bought our Cradlepoint router from him, so naturally wanted to buy another from him.  But, no way!  Scott said he wouldn't sell us a new one until we had called the Cradlepoint number he gave us.  He thought that we might just need a software upgrade rather than a new router.

So today, while I had a good cell phone (5 bars!) connection and a strong signal with the router, I called the toll-free number.  59 minutes and 2 technicians later, I was in possession of an email outlining the steps to update the firmware.  It turns out there had been SEVEN updates since we had bought it in 2009.  At this point, I think the updated software may have solved the problem!  I have been able to use the AT&T connection tonight and go from site to site without problems.  Keep your fingers crossed -- maybe you won't be able to hear me muttering any more!

No comments:

Post a Comment