Wednesday, September 21, 2011

On the Road Once More

We left the corn, milo and soybean fields of the Newton area today and headed north on I-135 to Salina, then east on I-70 into the Flint Hills. We fueled up with 60.033 gallons of diesel at $3.739/gal. at a Pilot  Travel Center in Salina.  That's the cheapest diesel we've found yet!


As you can see by the pictures, it was a dreary overcast day today. We had occasional rain showers off and on all day. We ran into -- what will probably be the first of many -- toll road east of Topeka.  It cost us $2.50 to travel the twenty plus miles from Topeka to Lawrence, Kansas where we are spending the night.


We are also staying at our first Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park.  The Lawrence/Kansas City Jellystone Park was a KOA facility until last year.  The Yogi Bear group seems to have a great many RV parks the further east we go, so this probably not be the last one we stay at.

I solved the mystery of the plant I couldn't identify a couple of days ago with a book, Tallgrass Prairie Wildflowers, that I bought yesterday at the Kauffman Museum gift shop.  It's called appropriately enough, Snow on the Mountain, Euphorbia marginata, and is a member of the Spurge family. My blogger friend Ann also had a picture of it she couldn't identify, so she will be happy to know I found it as well.

The swollen saliviary gland is gradually going down with the help of the antibiotic.  Actually, the antibiotic's side effects are now more annoying than the swollen gland.  It's going to take a bit of will power on my part to take the Augmentin the whole ten days...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! Snow on the Mountain- how poetic! Hope your gland is better. My hubby had a tumor there. It made his ear stick out! Surgery was not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lawrence is my college town! I only live 40 min away now and I try to go back at least a few times a year. Global Visas Fraud team investigate on the behalf of clients each year are bogus job offers with the promise of a visa. Great food, shopping, atmosphere, everything. There's really no other place like it. Glad you made it there, and to Local Burger and the Merc.

    ReplyDelete