Sunday, June 14, 2009

Company for Lunch

We had a guest speaker at Menno this morning. Augustin Suarez who is the Moderator of the NW Mexico Churches was our guest. Augustin does not speak a great deal of English, so Glen from the Warden Mennonite Church came with him to translate. It's always an interesting experience to listen to a translator -- you really have to keep focused -- as it's easy for your mind to start to "wander" during the intervals when the Spanish is being spoken. I have just enough Spanish to be dangerous -- if I know what the topic is, I can generally follow along. But this morning, it was hard.

After church, Colleen and Dennis came down to check out Auntie Violet and to have lunch with us. They are seriously in the process of getting their houses and his vending business ready to sell so that they can purchase a motorhome and go on the road. Dennis makes very interesting and gorgeous jewelry and wind chimes out of silverplate spoons. They have been setting up booths at various fairs and gatherings around the area checking out what they could make if they were to rely on their jewelry sales. They are getting pretty excited about the prospect of becoming fulltimers.

I made crab salads for lunch. I put hard boiled eggs, pea pods, cucumber slices, bamboo shoots, artichoke hearts, and tomatoes on a bed of spinach leaves with crab heaped in the middle and served the salads with a choice of dressing and rosemary flat bread and ice tea. They turned out to be very pretty.

As I had four dinner plates to work on, I was short of counter space until I remembered that there are covers for the stove burners (and for the sinks) under the sink! I don't think I had ever gotten them out to use... It was amazing how much more work space I suddenly had!

1 comment: