Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Quiet Sunday

I actually went to bed early last night, so it was easy getting up, having breakfast, showering and getting ready for church this morning. It was a interesting service as most of the people who had gone to Columbus, Ohio for the biennial convention of Mennonite Church USA last July shared their experiences and stories. Cleon had the "official" video of the convention which was shown on the big screen. It was quite fun to see some of the "other" parts of the convention -- the children and the youth conventions-- that we as adults didn't get to participate in.

Since school has started both in Moses Lake and Ritzville, many families that have been at the lake or on vacation are back in the area. It's nice to see the church fuller after the summer lull. We have decided that there is so much going on in the area leading up to the Mennonite Country Auction (October 3) that we may as well stay parked here at the ranch until then. Unless, of course, we finally get a date scheduled for my back surgery -- in that case we will move closer to Spokane!

This afternoon I put together the bead bracelet I have had laid out for several days using the hand blown beads that Bill gave me. I put the three strands together without finishing one end just so that I could take a better look at the design. I'm still not quite happy with the layout. I took out the beads that had lighter blues in them and I like that better, but I may still trade out a couple more. I guess I'll have to leave it out to study and think about it some more!

We spent part of the afternoon dealing with our epidemic of fruit flies! They are really being obnoxious! I had bought fresh peaches, figs, cantaloupe's (Can anybody explain why there is a "u" in lope? -- I didn't believe it when spell check told me to put one in -- I had to look at the net bag...!), and berries at Costco and every time I take something out of the refrigerator they are right there. I think bagging up all of the garbage with the peelings, etc. certainly helped, but we didn't get them all...

2 comments:

  1. I never thought about the u in cantaloupe! Now I'll think about it whenever I hear that:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the bracelet. I hope you get the surgery schedule that works the best for you.

    ReplyDelete