Sunday, May 29, 2011

My Turn to Rant...?

My friend Leslie got up on her soap box today to vent about little kids not being slathered with sunscreen and being allowed to get sun-burned, so now it's my turn.


I've gotten more and more annoyed this week by chatter -- I don't know how many times I've wanted to turn around and just shout "Shut Up Already!"


It started with a bus load of twenty or so tourists. I'm not sure where they were from, but I think one of the Scandinavian countries. We crossed their path off and on all day when we were at Arches. They were like a bunch of chattering magpies. It started in the gift shop where they were so loud, I couldn't even understand what the clerk was saying. As the day went on, they seemed to show up at every viewpoint and arch at the same time we did. Such awesome sights, but they sure weren't struck speechless.


But even they were out done by the two ladies loudly discussing why a third lady was so selfish about sharing her recipes -- and how they were sure she left something out when she did! All this while overlooking one of the most beautiful canyons I've ever seen.


Then there was the couple who decided that the parking area was the perfect place to continue their discussion of each other's heinous faults and failures. They were loud enough and nasty enough that I was sure one of them was going to drive off and leave the other...


And later near one of the arches, there was the family with three cute teenagers who were posing on top of a large boulder while their father took pictures. The whole time, the mother was screeching at the top of her lungs at the daughter that "she better not be getting her clothes dirty!" Then on and on, ad nauseum, about how "nobody appreciated all the work she did to keep them looking decent!"


It is a holiday weekend and the OK RV Park in Moab was full of both RVs as well as tents. I'm not sure if a lot of those people in their tents really realize that the walls of their tents are just made of cloth. There were tents across the road from where Auntie Violet was parked and it was so warm we had all of the windows open. I think the woman in one of the tents would have been mortified to know that what she was saying to her kids could be heard by everyone.


When I write this stuff down, it seems petty. I feel a bit ashamed to even think this way. But, is it too much to ask for people to open their eyes and enjoy God's beautiful creation QUIETLY?

1 comment:

  1. I hear you Sista! To be standing in front of such beauty and not see it, & only focused on the 'earthly' things...that is just sad.

    ReplyDelete