Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Finding the Great-Grands

I made another trip into Ritzville today. The Post Office was open today, but our mail wasn't there. Turns out our Son-in-law didn't pay the postage on the box... Daughter Mary Mae said she would go to their post office today to see if she could track it down...
The Farm Services Agency was open today also and I was able to get the CPR contract sheets that the bank had asked for, so I did get one of my errands done.

One of the things we discovered while looking for some of my ancestors graves in North Carolina was that my paternal grandmother's parents -- and one of her brothers -- were actually buried in the Ritzville Cemetery! I stopped at the cemetery on my way out of town to see if I could find their graves. I ended up going through the directory almost line by line until I finally found the gravesites (the directory lists names alphabetically, but by sections, so you have to look through each one.). The gravesites are on the edge of Section One, the older part of the cemetery.


I will have to do some checking with Cousin Terri to see if she knows anything about where they might have lived and if they followed their daughters out to the west. My great-grandmother Eliza Blackwood lived to the age of 85.


 Great-grandfather William S. Blackwood lived to be 88.


My maternal grandparents and great-grandparents (the Kubiks and Teleckys) are also buried at this cemetery. But, we have known about their graves and always went with my mother to decorate them.



I am actually writing this tonight from Auntie Violet down in the coulee at Tree Heart Ranch. (In the Northwest we have "coulees" while in the Southwest they have "arroyos." I think in other parts of the country you would call them "valleys.") Forry and I put up the new antenna this afternoon with the pipe we bought yesterday. It's up fifteen feet, but we may need to add the additional five feet we bought. It's awfully slow, but hey, it works!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment