Friday, October 12, 2012

Journey to Touchet

This morning I packed my suitcase and my computer; loaded up assorted items I had picked up during the last year's travels; and fixed a bag with various groceries and headed for Touchet to spend a few days with my sister. As I drove down Highway 395, I realized that in all the years my sister had lived near Touchet, I had never driven there by myself!

I guess I have gotten rather lazy about driving. It is so easy to let Forry be my chauffeur. He likes to drive and it's not really my favorite thing to do, so it's just easy to let him drive. I'd much rather be checking in on Facebook or reading my Kindle or just watching the scenery as we go. It was actually a very pleasant drive. Toad II handles the road well and the Suzuki is very comfortable. I had bought some of Sherry Farmer's CDs last week, so I listened to them most of the way down.

One of the fun things about being at Sister Sherry's is cooking with her. My Brother Pat and his sons and his Brother-in-law Gary and his sons were going to be here for supper (deer hunting season starts tomorrow), so she had already made bread pudding and pumpkin bars. We ended up making hard sauce for the bread pudding and frosting for the bars. Then put a ham in the oven and made some scalloped potatoes (Patrick brought fresh potatoes from his garden).

It was fun to see the young men that Pat and Gary's sons have turned into. Nephew Nick went back to Walla Walla for the night (he'd already gotten his deer during the black-powder hunt.), but Nephew Jared and his cousins Matt and Mike are staying here along with their dads. They are planning to be out in the field by 6 AM, so they headed for bed quite early.

I had bought the largest collar they had at Margaritaville for my favorite mastiff Deacon, but it just barely fits. He is four years old now and though he's no taller, he's gotten much more massive through his chest and shoulders. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment