Sunday, February 10, 2013

Early Mornings

I've been up too early too many mornings lately. I really don't like to see sunrises!


Though I must admit, I used to really enjoy them when I was driving home in the morning after having worked the night shift as an RN at Samaritan Hospital in Moses Lake many years ago.

There was something neat about watching the sun rise as I was on my way home to bed. I got along quite well working night shifts as I never wanted to go to bed before 2 AM anyway. For many of those years I was the House Supervisor, so had a variety of things to keep me busy. My shift would start at 11 PM. We would be intermittently busy until the bars closed at 2 AM, then we would usually be very busy for a couple of hours. Especially on weekends or if we had a full moon.

The hardest hours of the night shift for me was from that hour or so around 5 AM. Things were usually very quiet by then unless we had a delivery in process. It would start to get lively again about 6 AM when the lab techs started getting their blood draws and the day's surgery patients began to arrive. By 7 AM, the day shift was there, report was given and it was time to head home.

I really missed working nights when I started working days (sometimes you get promoted out of your comfort zone). Driving 25 miles to work and having to arrive by 7 AM made for some very early mornings. I worked the night shift for about five years and then never had another job that allowed for that. It's hard to believe I would look by and really miss nights.


No comments:

Post a Comment