Saturday, February 9, 2013

Saturday Evening

Forry made a bag of microwave popcorn that he's shared with me. So I am munching on popcorn, typing on the computer -- all while I am watching the bull riding on TV. What a nice way to spend a Saturday evening.

Julie's blog on "Mennonite Girls Can Cook" talked this evening about the very structured cleaning that went on in her home on Saturdays when she was a child. That was the routine when I was growing up as well. I don't remember it as much after we moved to the farm when I was in my early teens (perhaps since we had livestock and outside chores to do?), but as a youngster it was the routine.

One thing I have vivid memories of is the white cream cleanser?/wax? that we used on the kitchen cupboards every Saturday. If I am remembering correctly, I had to wipe it on with one rag, then polished it dry with another. The other chore that I recall is polishing furniture. My Mom didn't think you were doing a good job on chair and table legs unless she could hear the rag "squeaking" as you polished...

My Saturdays have never been that structured. Early this morning I got online to buy some tickets for Monday afternoon's "Buddy Holly, Big Bopper and Richie Valen Tribute" here at Valle Del Oro. Then after Forry got up, we ran errands and picked up a few groceries, then came home in time for a nap! I made some corn chowder for supper and that was about the extent of our day.

No comments:

Post a Comment