Monday, June 3, 2013

Packing Books

We didn't do a lot this morning, we're both still feeling a bit puny. (Forry really didn't have to share his sore throat with me...!) This afternoon I felt ambitious enough to go over to Dawn's and work on the packing.

So I packed books. And then I packed books. And then I packed some more books. It certainly brought back memories of all the books we packed up when we downsized from the Spokane house to the RV. We gave books away, we donated books, we even sold a few (very few!)

First I packed up the cookbooks. Dawn was worried when she got home from work that we might need some recipes for the graduation party. Granddaughter Kyra assured her mother that we would be able to find any recipe we needed on the internet.

Next I went to the bookcase in the living room and packed those books. Lots of books about Bolivia and lots of books in Spanish. I was using the small boxes Dawn and I had retrieved from the little grocery next door, but filled with books, even those are heavy.

Lastly, I headed for the bookcase in the family room. Kyra was home from school by then and helped transfer the photograph albums and scrapbooks from the bottom shelves. We got a bit carried away and filled one of the larger boxes. I didn't realize how heavy it was until I was taping it up. Todd used his dolly to move it to the stack of boxes in the garage and said it was manageable, but I still felt bad.

When I was packing the cookbooks, I ran into the box that held all of Grandson Micah's Boy Scout badges. So when I was finished with the day's packing, Todd found me a needle and thread and I spent an hour or so sewing badges on Micah's Honor Sash. He had six new badges that he recently got along with his First Class Scout badge.

Micah and Todd are off tonight to a Scout meeting, Havala is at a Catalina (honor singing group) practice. It's been a while since we've been in the midst of such a busy family (probably since last fall's visit to the Hardt-Andrews crew.).

2 comments:

  1. I love books. Getting rid of them was one of the hardest things I had to do when we decided to be full timers. I have the kindle app for my tablet, but there is nothing like holding a real book in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure agree! I do almost all my reading on my iPad, but I miss the feel and smell of books.

      Delete