Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tae Berry Pie and More Jam

Daughter Dawn has some funny looking berries planted along her sideyard fence. I must admit I have never seen nor tasted tae berries before.
This is a picture from the internet. Hers look like the ones in the middle --


Grandson Micah was tasked today with picking the berries, both the tae berries and raspberries. While I was napping this afternoon, Todd suggested to Forry that it sure would be nice if I made a pie out of the ones Micah had picked. And there was enough left for a batch of raspberry/tae berry freezer jam.

I looked up and found a pie recipe on the internet. I was a bit concerned that the one and a quarter cup of sugar that the recipe called for was a bit much, but the berries are tart and it turned out to be just enough. It was an interesting recipe as it used both flour and tapioca as thickeners. Granddaughter Havela's friend Katy made seven of us for dinner, so the pie quickly disappeared.

We've done okay with internet recipes. Todd had a rabbit he wanted to put in the crock pot with some mango chutney. I found a recipe for chicken chutney curry that worked pretty well. The chutney had jalapenos as well, so it was nice and spicy.
.
Otherwise, I spent the biggest share of the day again on the couch reading. I've have gotten hooked on Fern Micheal's Sisterhood series of books. I vaguely remember perhaps reading one or two of them many years ago, but had never read the whole series. I'm up to Free Fall, which I think is number seven.

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of tae berries. These look like blackberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of tae berries either. I wonder if they are a regional plant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They may be one of the Oregon varieties. They're longer than blackberries, but the bushes look much the same. They seem to be a bit tarter as well. I was a bit surprised to find a recipe for tae berry pie on the internet...

    ReplyDelete