Thursday, June 27, 2013

Tale of a Tator Tot Casserole

Confession Time! I have never in my whole life made a Tator Tot Casserole! It was my friend Phyllis' "go-to" casserole for potlucks and family meals, but not something I ever made for my family.

Yesterday Todd suggested that's what I should make for dinner. He got a package of hamburger out of the freezer to thaw so I could use it later that afternoon. Somewhat skeptical, I queried him about how they went about making it. I didn't remember Phyl putting green beans in hers, but he said they used cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup as well as a can of green beans...

I googled Tator Tot casseroles and found all kinds of recipes, some with the tator tots (thumb-sized shredded frozen potatoes) on the top and some of them with the tator tots on the bottom. Some of them were just hamburger, some had hamburger and sauteed onions. Some even had shredded cheese on top.

So, I browned the hamburger and onions, added the two cans of soup and the can of drained green beans and was ready to put the tator tots on top and put the whole thing in the oven when Todd called and said that they had forgotten they were supposed to go into Portland for dinner with friends...

So I covered the cast iron skillet with foil (sans potatoes) and stuck it in the refrigerator and went back to Auntie Violet and baked a potato and broiled a steak for Forry and me.

Todd did finish the casserole this evening and it was actually pretty good. Daughter Dawn called it comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment