Thursday, August 8, 2013

It's Only August!

It's only August, but they're playing football! I know they are preseason games, but it's still football! Forry is watching the Seattle Seahawks vs the San Diego Chargers game tonight. At the moment it's 24-3 and the announcers are NOT happy about it. You can sure tell he's listening to a California TV station!

To make it worse, the Mariners have the day off today, so I don't even get the solace of seeing portions of their game as he flips back and forth...

I cannot watch football without thinking about ironing. My Dad refereed football and basketball as well as umpired baseball games after he no longer played. Ironing his uniforms was my job. I look with envy at the uniforms the umpires are currently wearing. It looks like they have nice black and white striped short-sleeved knit shirts with black trousers that are probably no-iron as well.

In Dad's day, he wore a starched black and white long-sleeved shirt and heavy white denim knickers that fastened below his knees. The shirts were tough enough to iron, but the trousers were really a bear! Mom starched them fairly heavily and they scorched easily. She then "sprinkled" them to dampen them down and put them in a plastic bag for me to iron. The fabric was almost canvas-like and in places where there were multiple layers -- like where they fastened under his knees or at the waistband -- it was hard to iron them dry without scorching the starch.

In the days before Permanent Press, ironing clothing was one of those never-ending tasks. It seemed like you'd just get one week's ironing done when there was another batch. I actually liked ironing most of the time. We had one neighbor who hated to iron and would put her sprinkled clothes into the freezer (so they wouldn't mildew!). When I would go there to baby-sit, I'd often pull a bag out of the freezer and iron for her. It seemed to make her very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment