Sunday, November 23, 2014

Memories!

In another life, Forry and I did a lot of flying in small planes. If my memory is correct, we've had a total of seven small aircraft ranging from a Piper 180 to a couple of twin-engine Aztecs. Much of our children's early lives revolved around trips we took with Flying Farmer organization. One of our favorite destinations was Baja California in Mexico. We would rendezvous in Las Vegas or Reno and wait for everyone to arrive (always depended on weather!).

Vic Franz, who has an early two digit pilot's license, served as a mentor for many of our early flights. He made sure that we too, took safety as a top priority. He sent me this picture last week that I think was taken in about 1971 in a trip I had organized for the Flying Farmer group. Vic is on the left in the photo. Next to him is Bob Kramer, whose Cessna 310 we are all standing in front of. With Forry and I are our children, Mary Mae, Sean and Dawn.


I think the picture may have been taken at the Meling Ranch airstrip, about half-way down the Baja  peninsula. In those days, there was no paved good road that went to the tip of Baja. You either sailed down the Pacific side to Cabo San Lucas or you flew in a fairly small plane - no jets in those days!

Oh what a bit of nostalgia this picture brought back! Thanks, Vic!

No comments:

Post a Comment