Friday, November 7, 2014

The Costco Odyssey

There is a very nice Palo Verde tree in the little group of plantings next to where Auntie Violet is parked. I noticed this morning that the tree is beginning to bloom --



We saw a few later on this afternoon that were almost entirely yellow. It will fun to watch to see if our tree continues to bloom out.


This afternoon we made the long overdue trip to Costco. I had been putting it off because I knew it was going to be a major one. For several reasons, I have become very leery about purchasing meat at grocery stores. I think that there have been just too many horror stories and meat recalls in the news. I have a great deal of faith in Costco's buyers. I have been contacted by Costco when I have bought a product that turned out to have problems.

I suppose part of it has to do with growing up on a farm and living on one most of our married life. We were used to having and butchering our own meat. We knew how it was raised and how it was butchered, cut and wrapped.

It's one thing when you live in one area and you can get to know your local butcher and meat markets. However, when you are as mobile as we are, you just can't do that. So, we rely on a large company that we trust. Today I bought a large pork loin roast (that I cut up into six small roasts to freeze), a package of four beef rib steaks, six pounds of hamburger and a large package of beef stew meat. When we got home, I broke up all the packaging into meal-size portions for us.

Now my little freezer is stuffed!

1 comment:

  1. I was surprised to find out that Costco is Washington's largest money-making business. I would have thought Microsoft was, but it is Costco. Our KOA here is right across the street from the Costco. Very convenient!

    ReplyDelete