Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Cleanup

I had been fussing at Forry to get the little barbecue out of the bay for me as I wanted to check it out before I had to use it to barbecue the duck I bought for tomorrow. I also wanted to make sure that the aluminum pan I bought yesterday was big enough for it to sit on and protect our little table.

In his usual style, Forry had not bothered to clean it before he put it away (probably hadn't ever cleaned it...), so it was a greasy mess. I pulled out the little drain pan from the bottom which was full of gross dusty semi-solid grease. I ended up getting the roll of paper towels and a plastic bag (to contain it all) and went to work. Forry took the wire brush and started working on the rack and frame. After we got it as clean as possible, he connected the gas and we ran it for a while to burn off what was left.

I'm not sure how long it's been since we used it - I stopped coaxing Forry to barbecue after I got my George Foreman grill. I know it's been a while as I've nearly worn the grill out...

I saw in the Spokane paper today that one of our neighbors from the Carico Hills had passed away. Donnie and Betty lived on the next farm over when I was a teenager. Forry and I used to make nightly calls on the shared party line - Donnie would give us a bad time if we talked too long. I am so glad that we had a chance to visit them at Monroe House in Moses Lake before we came south this fall. Donnie was 92 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment