Saturday, January 5, 2013

Hooray for the Bulls!

 PBR: Professional Bull Riders Tickets

 
Madison Square Garden! New York! Bull Riding is BACK!

After what seems like a non-stop football orgy since Christmas, it is so nice tonight to see that the Professional Bull Riding Association season is back. (Though Forry did get in at least two football games today...) I haven't seen the schedule for the whole season, but from the couple of months that I have seen, the tour is not going to be anywhere near where we are.

We got to watch the PBR in person one time when we were in Tacoma and I would love to do it again. One of our friends said that he thought it would not be as good as it is on TV, because they show so many close-ups of the action down in the shoots. But if the Tacoma Dome was typical, they had big screens where you could see everything they were showing on TV. So you had all of that plus the sounds and the smells of those rank bulls.

I was in my early teens when my paternal grandfather retired and my Dad moved our family out to the home farm. One of the first purchases Dad made was horses for us. We never had riding lessons -- we learned to ride by riding. The only instruction I can ever remember getting was Dad hollering, "Keep your weight in your feet, not in your seat!"

The 4-H show steers came right behind the horses. I really do not remember not having livestock around. After we were married, Forry and I had a small herd of Hereford cattle. One of my favorite activities was riding around in the pick-up in the spring checking on the new calves. (I even ended up pulling* one of the calves one afternoon went Forry wasn't home...)

I guess what I am trying to say is that I do like being around livestock. The Bull Riding is the best part of rodeo and I do like watching it!

(*helping to deliver a calf by attaching special chains to its feet and pulling during the cow's contractions)

No comments:

Post a Comment