Thursday, January 3, 2013

Too Much TV!

One of the major problems with not feeling very good, is the amount of aimless TV watching I end up doing. I'm married to a guy who takes after his mother. My dear Mother-in-Love used to get up in the morning, walk out to the living room to turn on the TV, then go back to her bedroom to get dressed and put her glasses on. Her son is the same way.

I relish the mornings I wake up and hour or so before he does. I then have that hour or so of quiet before the TV comes on. It's a chance to read the paper, my email and check Facebook in quiet solitude. Not being a morning person, I'm also not a morning talker. My staff used to joke that if they expected any answer but "No!," they shouldn't ask me before ten AM...

Normally, I can keep myself occupied with housework, various projects or reading and sort of ignore the television. But, these last few days, I have spent most of my time on the couch watching the ubiquitous football games -- and the commercials that come with them.

I was so glad when the elections were over and we didn't have to listen to the political ads. Then it was all the ads for Black Friday and Christmas sales and Chia pets. Now it's all the ads for exercise equipment and coffee machines. But the best ones are for the things that are "only available on TV." The wildest one I've seen lately is one for an ear vacuum -- TRUE! I am not kidding. And even better, if you call right away, you'll get two of them for the price of one. All for just the cost of handling and shipping. Which if you read the small print on the ad, is more than the cost of the ear vacuum...

Then there are the ads for "straight talk about what goes in the bathroom." C'mon, who has cute blue bears in their bathrooms? Let alone ones cuddling up with the toilet paper!

I think it's time to get over these stinking colds. I'm tired of watching TV!

2 comments:

  1. Hello there
    Sounds like you've been watching the same TV ads as Kathy. http://kampgroundkapers.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/cabin-fever.html

    Have been enjoying your life on the road for quite a while now. Do you think you'll ever sell Auntie Violet and settle down again?
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't avoid those ads -- they're ubiquitous!
    We've been talking about less traveling and maybe looking for a permanent site in the NW for summer and one in the south for winters. So far it doesn't seem to be much more than talk...

    ReplyDelete