Saturday, August 29, 2015

Another Busy Day

Tonight I fixed my dear departed Mother-in-law Martha's favorite harvest supper. I had found a nice piece of ham (about a quarter) when we were at Costco today. I fried up a potato, sliced several slices of ham which I also fried and sliced some tomatoes. Since we always fixed the heaviest meal for noon, suppers tended to be a little lighter and this was always her go-to meal. Of course, there would also have been bread or rolls and butter and a dessert of some kind.

It might be cake, or ice cream, or a cobbler, but never pie. Pie was for the noon meal. Bless her heart, she could make pies for thirty plus days of harvest, and never make the same kind twice! She'd make two or three pies, depending on how large a crew we had, every day. Even after she and Dad Hardt retired and I took over the cooking, she'd bake pies for us. She said it was her payment for the two of them eating with the harvest crew.

I always looked forward to harvest - just as much as I wanted it to be over by the second or third week. I saved up recipe ideas all year to try during harvest. If something wasn't real successful, oh well, it gotten eaten up anyway, usually without any leftovers,

We sure had all kinds of weather today. The prediction was for strong winds and there were NOAA weather warning of dust storms and fire danger. There was indeed a great deal of dust in the air when we went to Costco. At times, visibility was less than a quarter of a mile. It's a good thing the car wash that I had on my To Do list for this week didn't happen. In the midst of all the dust, we got enough rain drops to really make a mess. This evening the wind is quiet, the skies are blue and we are not smelling smoke.


No comments:

Post a Comment