Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Ego Issues?

It's been almost twenty years since I actively practiced as a Registered Nurse. And even the six or seven years before that, I was functioning in administrative positions. Sure, I'd get called on every once in a while to start a recalcitrant IV or to cover a shift, but I mostly dealt with the politics and the paperwork. Things have changed a whole lot since I was actively practicing and I'd be the first one to admit I haven't really kept up.

I was chatting with Granddaughter Havela this afternoon when she mentioned that Great Granddaughter Kahlyn would be starting her immunizations in a couple of weeks at her two month check-up. We talked a bit about how it was harder on the mother then the baby. Then I commented that we used to give infants a baby aspirin before they got their shots so that they wouldn't be so miserable afterwards. Havela said she'd better pick some baby aspirin up so that she'd be prepared.

I thought about it for a bit after I talked with her, then texted Daughter Dawn, who is a practicing Public Health Nurse. Dawn immediately told me that they no longer gave baby aspirin to infants as it has been shown to possibly cause Reyes Syndrome. She said there are even some practitioners who don't even approve of giving infant Tylenol as it may interfere with immunization effectiveness.

I quickly got back in touch with my Granddaughter telling her to totally disregard my earlier advice! I'm glad I thought to double-check what I was saying even though it didn't do much for my ego!

No comments:

Post a Comment