Sunday, September 6, 2015

Soup Weather

It's been overcast with occasional rain showers all day today. We thought about making the ninety mile trip to Menno this morning, but just didn't get organized early enough. The Mariners played at one 'clock today, so we spent the afternoon watching baseball. It was nice to see the Mariners win and sweep the series with the Athletics.

I had part of a pint container of half and half left over from the onion pie I made awhile back. I saw a recipe for potato bacon soup last week. It seemed like it was a perfect day for soup and a good way to use that half and half. I used some Yukon Gold potatoes that I cubed and par-boiled. I diced up a one inch piece of bacon off of my last slab of Mennonite bacon and fried it up. When it was crisp, I sautéed half a Walla Walla sweet onion in the rendered fat. Those and the potatoes made the base for my soup. It was a treat on a cool showery Sunday afternoon.

Tonight was the last evening of the PBR (Professional Bull Riders) event in Thackerville, Oklahoma. We watched the replay of the Saturday rides then the Finals tonight. It was good to see JB Muaney take the lead in this year's championship race.

No comments:

Post a Comment