Friday, May 22, 2009

High School Reunions

Last year I went to Forry's high school 50th reunion and this year I am attending mine. Ritzville High School, where we both graduated, is unique in the United States for having held reunions every year (except the year Mount St. Helen's blew) since the very first class graduated in 1904. Every year they honor the current graduating class, the 25 year class, and the 50 year class. Since everyone is invited to the reunions, there are also gatherings of 5, 10, 20 year classes, etc. I think this year I saw in the paper where the 65 year class is having a party! They expect to have 350+ people for the banquet tomorrow night.

I was being very lazy this morning, still lounging around in my night clothes when there was a knock at the motor home door. To my surprise and delight, it was our dear friend Polly who had stopped by to invite us to have lunch. (We had stopped by their place on our way home from Cow Lake yesterday and visited with John, but Polly had just left and we hadn't gotten a chance to see her.) My parents had lived just across the hill from Polly and John when we were teenagers on the farm and I have fond memories of riding my horse over to their place to baby-sit or visit.

We met Polly at the "new" Mexican restaurant (the "old" Circle T) downtown after she had gotten her hair done -- and I'd had a shower! We had a wonderful lunch catching up on everyone's families. Polly is a very young 85 and such a dear soul to talk to -- so interested in what everyone is doing!

About 4 PM, Forry and I headed over to the Golf Club where the Class of '59 was gathering. While I am not much for reunions, it was kind of fun to check everyone out and see how much they had or hadn't changed!

Poor Forry -- it was his 70th birthday and he spent it at my reunion...!

1 comment:

  1. I graduated from Mossyrock High School in 1962. Our class had 53 kids! They have all-school reunions frequently but the last reunion of just my class that I attended was the 25th. We did go to Keith's 45th in Rexburg ID, his first reunion. He was in the class of 1957. Gee, we're gettin' up there!

    ReplyDelete