Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Rose for My Dad...

It's Memorial Day weekend and after we moved with Auntie Violet to the La Quinta Motel and RV Park in Ritzville (in preparation for my 50th High School Reunion), we bought flowers and went to visit the family graves. It took trips to four cemeteries in the area.
Forry's grandparents and great-grandparents on the Hardt side are buried in the abandoned Lutheran cemetery that is now a part of the Stahl Hutterite colony:





His parents, my dearly beloved "mother-in-love" and father-in-law, are buried at the Menno Mennonite Church cemetery not too far from the ranch:



and I left a rose there for my late dear friend Judy:


From there we drove back to Rizville to the City Cemetery just west of the town where the Kubiks, my great grandparents and my grandparents on my mother's side, are buried:






(My Haight grandparents on my Dad's side were cremated and are in a mausoleum in Spokane.)


From the City Cemetery, we went to the other side of Ritzville where the Lutherans have their cemetery and where Forry's mother's parents, the Steffens are buried:


Both of my parents also chose cremation. My mother's ashes were strewn with her sister Marjorie's in my Sister Sherry's rose graden at the farm along the Touchet River.
My Dad wanted his ashes scattered across Cow Lake, out near the Carico Hills where he grew up and spent most of his life. We decided to take the last rose out to Cow Lake for Dad:



1 comment:

  1. A day of rememberance...nice! Sounds like you & Forest were blessed with a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete