Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Roadrunner Nest

It was a busy day today. The fellow from the RV Shop came out to install the new electric cable for Auntie Violet. I purchased and downloaded the new 2015 Update for QuickBooks and then updated the ranch books for January.

Then this afternoon, I took a walk over to behind the office to the same saguaro that the Roadrunners had a nest in last year. I had heard from our neighbor Mike that they were nesting there again. When I got over there, there was no one sitting on the nest, but then I spotted her several feet away.


She stood there for a moment, watching, then made a run for the nest -



She came to a halt just before the saguaro and did her "you can't see me" act.


This is what you can see of the nest from the ground -


The adult bird took one hop and was up in the nest. If you look carefully, you can see the head and eye of one of the baby birds below the mother's.


I'm not sure, but I think I can see a second beak below the eye of the first baby...


 Once the adult fed the little ones, she settled down in the nest, and she was all that could be seen.

 

What a treat to see the little ones. Last year, I watched the adults built the nest, but we left before the eggs hatched.


No comments:

Post a Comment