Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Post-op Day 1

I was going to head back to Auntie Violet for some much needed sleep after our long day. I thought I'd stay until they got Forry settled for the night, but it was not to be. He was getting morphine through his IV line -  the setup where when you push the button, you get a dose of the medicine. The pump is designed so that the button only works after at least ten minutes have passed.

Forry is a kidder, and he does it with such a straight face he even still fools me some of the time. He was teasing the nurse, something about whether he should take the pills she gave him or the little paper container they were in. But it came out all scrambled and the more he tried to figure out what he was trying to say, the loopier he got. He was just a bit out of it and he didn't want me to leave. The very kind nursing assistant brought in a folding cot and bedding for me.

I tried to calculate, but I was pretty rummy, so I'm not sure how accurate my estimate is. I know I slept for at least two hours after the nurses got Forry settled. They had gotten him out of bed and walked him to the doorway twice. But he was still on post-op every hour vital signs, so we kept getting woke up until midnight. Then we got a couple of hours of sleep. I don't know what woke Forry up, but about two he was wide awake and so was I. I actually wrote yesterday's blog on my iPod (though it has today's date.)

I dozed off again and I think I got a another whole hour in before the parade of morning vital signs, blood draws, etc. began. It was a busy morning. PT was in and got Forry up and walking in the hall as far as the Nurses Station and back. She also worked with him on how to get out of bed without twisting. Then she got him set up in the chair for an hour.

I figured it was a good time for me to go home, change clothes and maybe even take a nap. I did try. But it was not to be. I ended up answering phone calls...

I went back to the hospital with clean clothes at least and Forry's Sudoko books that he wanted. We had various bursts of lovely visitors over the next few hours - so nice!

Forry wanted me to stay again tonight, but I told him to quit looking at me with those puppy dog eyes. I knew I had to get some sleep -- I could tell I was getting crabby. I stayed until he was settled into bed and came on home. My bed is going to feel good, though empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment