Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Long, Long Day

It is a little after 10:30 CDT in Goshen, Indiana where I have FINALLY made it to my hotel room at the Courtyard Marriott. Forry and I got up at 2:30 this morning to leave the house at 3 AM to get me to the Orlando International Airport a little after four.

I was surprised how busy the airport was at that hour! (Several little kids with big Mickey balloons, souvenirs of their visits to Disney World.) They didn't have a backscatter machine in Terminal B where Delta flies, so I got to have one of their lovely pat-downs due to my knees setting off the metal detector. The pat-downs seem to get more intrusive and thorough every time I fly...

The flight to Atlanta was absolutely packed -- they were offering all kinds of vouchers for people to give up their seats. I don't recall being in the Atlanta airport before. It sure was a long hike from Concourse A where I arrived to the train to Concourse C where of course, my gate was way down at the end! The plane to South Bend was a small one and only about half full, which was really nice. I tried to sleep on both legs, but for some reason didn't have much luck. I did NOT recognise the South Bend airport -- I thought for a moment I had gotten on the wrong flight. The last time I landed there I remember it really being a dump. Not any longer! They now have a gorgeous, but not very busy, nice new airport.

Fellow Board Member Nancy arrived about a half hour after me and had rented a car. She was going to take four of us to the hotel, but we decided we were already running late for the 1:30 Executive Board meeting, so we decided to go directly to the church. We were about fifteen minutes late, but didn't miss much more than some of the introductions.

We met until past time for supper (served at the church), quickly ate, had a committee meeting, then had a very long executive session that lasted almost until 9:30. It was a little after ten when I finally got checked in at the hotel. I am definitely on my way to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment