Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Printing..?!

It was supposed to be a quiet day today. I was going to pack for my trip to Elkhart, Indiana tomorrow (I did the necessary laundry yesterday.) and print off the packet of materials that had been sent the meeting.

First Hurdle: The files were all sent .ftp! I haven't seen anything in that format for more than twenty years! We used to use it way back when before email to access the Internet. Of course, the directions that came with the files did not work! I finally went on line and downloaded FileZilla File and was able to figure out how to open the files so that I could print them.

Second Hurdle: Three pages printed and the black ink portions tapered off to grey! No problem, I had a spare cartridge in the cupboard. Oops, two color cartridges, but NO BLACK! I knew I had seen an office supply store in the shopping center just up the road by Publix. Oops, guess I saw one somewhere else?

OK, don't panic. Plug office supply store into the GPS. It found an Office Depot about nine miles away (it was actually more like twelve as the GPS seems to calculate "as the crow flies"!). Uh, oh, looks like the address that the GPS says is an Office Depot is now only an empty store! Try again. The GPS finds a Staples. It didn't look to be too far away. Turns out to be way over in Winter Haven! When we get there, we find another empty store and I FREAK! Fortunately, Forry remains calm and spots the Staples store on the other side of the highway!

We park. I go in; see the sign for ink; grab the correct cartridge; pay for it; and go back out to the car. NO Forry! (I thought he was staying in the car to plot the closest way back home on the GPS.) Evidently, he followed me into the store and was looking around... I go back in and find him, the clerk laughs at us as we leave...

Home again (by now it's after 6 PM) and I put the new cartridge in the printer and print off all the pages. Looks like I should have bought another ream of paper while I was at Staples -- the stack is an inch high! Oh well, print off the Boarding Passes, write my blog and go pack. Tomorrow is another day!


1 comment:

  1. You should have called us - we could have pointed to you a very close Staples. Have a good trip

    ReplyDelete