Thursday, January 16, 2014

In Line at 6:15!

Indeed I was up, dressed in multiple layers, and out the door with my coffee, the newspaper and my lawn chair. I walked over to the office and was sitting outside the door by 6:15 this morning. There wasn't anyone there -- except for Ron who was in the office. It was a good ten minutes later before anyone else showed up. By the time the office opened at 8 AM, there were about a dozen of us waiting outside. It was a pretty jovial friendly crowd, all looking to reserve a new site for the 2014/2015 season. Current site holders had up to yesterday afternoon to re-reserve their sites for next year, so there were only three sites available on the river side of the resort that we were interested in, but several more around the outskirts of the park.

Since I was first in line (Forry showed up a few minutes before eight...), we were able to reserve Site 101, which is almost in the middle of the river bank sites, but has a space with a couple of trees between it and the site next to it. We took care of the new paperwork, then sat down at one of the tables and enjoyed coffee and doughnuts (they serve coffee and doughnuts every morning, but we seldom are up that early -- and it's not a very healthy breakfast anyway), while we watched the rest of the line take their picks.

It was a pretty cheerful bunch except for the last lady in line. She was really angry with Sandy, the office staffer. She had showed up about 7:45 and was angry that Sandy hadn't told her that I was going to ask for Site 101, the site she wanted. After all, she had stood in line for fifteen minutes for nothing and Sandy should have come outside and told her that I wanted the site so she hadn't wasted her time! Interesting sense of entitlement.

There was one casualty of the morning. I had taken along my iPad to read after I finished the paper. My hands had gotten so cold even with my gloves on, that when I went to put it back in my bag it slipped out of my hands and landed on the concrete sidewalk. It cracked the upper case, but it still seems to work okay.



It doesn't look real great, but at least it still works!


No comments:

Post a Comment