Sunday, January 5, 2014

That Cold Snap...

Every time we turn on the news the last couple of days, or I read weather comments on Facebook, it strikes me again how fortunate we are to be in Arizona these days. This Arctic Blast that is hitting the rest of the United States so far has spared us.

The pictures of snow piled high and of blizzard style winds whipping across highways make me shiver just looking at them. Though at one time we had and enjoyed snowmobiles, I have no desire at this point in time to brave the cold. I whine about having to put on long pants or a jacket!

One year, many years ago, we went with Son Sean and a group of Flying Farmer friends to Yellowstone Park in mid-winter with our snowmobiles. We stayed at Harrison Hot Springs where we watched the snow flakes falling as we soaked in the hot water. We watched Old Faithful erupt in clouds of steam in a snow-covered field. We shared the park roads with shaggy bison with their heavy winter coats. I got pulled out of "tree wells" by friendly Canadians who later showed me how to drink their Rye Whiskey. It was a memorable trip.

We also had a group of friends who spent time with us at the camp the Mennonite Churches of Washington own near Leavenworth, Washington. That was when we began winterizing the cabins so the camp could be enjoyed in the winter-time. Camp Camrec would have a whole line-up of snowmobiles outside the lodge. Alas, those days seem to be gone. Nowadays, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing seem to be the activities of choice.

Forry's memories of cold winters have much to do with heavy insulated coveralls and going out to feed the herd of cattle that we had. Those Hereford cows would hear the pick-up coming with its load of hay and come running. I can recall him coming back into the house with a red face and chilled fingers in spite of his gloves and heavy clothes.

I think, that without a doubt, I prefer warm weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment